With Zilliqa, footballers become NFTs
It’s now official: 10 of the world’s top footballers have become NFTs thanks to Zilliqa and its partnership with Polaris.
Polaris, a company that manages the rights of some of the world’s top footballers (one of them is Cristiano Ronaldo), today announced the launch of 10 NFTs linked to 10 football stars, which will be available from 6 June on the Zilliqa marketplace.
- Diego Costa, former Chelsea and Atlético Madrid striker ;
- James Rodríguez, Everton F.C and Colombia national team midfielder;
- Pepe, Porto team captain and Portugal national team centre-back;
- Keylor Navas, Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain goalkeeper ;
- Radamel “El Tigre” Falcao, Galatasaray forward and Colombia national team captain;
- Diogo Jota, Liverpool F.C. and Portugal national team forward;
- João Félix, Atlético Madrid and Portugal national team forward;
- Raúl Jiménez, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Mexico national team forward;
- Renato Sanches, Lille and Portugal national team midfielder;
- Rúben Dias, Manchester City F.C. and Portugal national team centre-back.
NFTs of footballers on Zilliqa
NFTs will be sold as an Individual Player Pack for $3,500 each. They are available in three colours (gold, copper and steel), with 111 packs per colour. In total, therefore, there will only be 333 NFTs per player. Those who buy NFTs also get the opportunity to receive gadgets signed by the player to whom the non-fungible token refers.
For those who don’t want to miss out on anything, there is the “Superpack“: all 10 player NFTs and an autographed NFT card for the price of 20,000 dollars. In this case, there are the three colour variants for 333 copies each for a total of 999 pieces. Those who grab this special NFT will also get a chance to virtually meet three players and receive autographed jerseys from all 10 footballers.
Amrit Kumar, president and chief scientific officer of Zilliqa, said:
“This joint endeavour with Polaris is a critical milestone for Zilliqa as we cement our position in the NFT space. Despite the challenges of collaborating from afar, we’re so thrilled to be bringing NFTs to ‘the beautiful game’. Enabled not only by their passion for football, we also want to recognise the players’ commitment to their fans that made it possible to reinvigorate the fan experience with these special collectibles.”
James Rodríguez said:
“Throughout the past few months, NFTs have proven themselves as a powerful new medium to engage with fans across the globe. Bridging the gap between traditional sports memorabilia and digital collectibles, I’m excited to see what this new medium has to offer through this collaboration with Zilliqa and Polaris.”
Diego Costa added:
“During a period of time where we’ve been unable to engage with our fans and give them that full, stadium experience, NFTs have become a creative new way to keep that fan experience alive. As a tradable collectible, we hope that football fans enjoy the value that they can reap from the collection.”